Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign is seeking eight champions who will help to further our work to expand access to summer and afterschool meals through the Summer Food Service Program and the CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program. We are excited to announce the request for applications for our Out of School Time (OST) Meals Champions 2022 Cohort. 2019 Afterschool Meals Champions are not eligible to apply to be 2022 OST Meals Champions; however, members of the 2019 Afterschool Meals Hall of Fame are eligible and are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have experience running either the Summer Food Service Program or the CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program; however, applicants running both programs are greatly encouraged to apply.
The application will close on Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:59pm EST.
Are you an OST Meals Champion?
We are looking for passionate individuals who are comfortable:
- Speaking about their experience with summer and/or afterschool meals, including how they started their program, challenges and successes
- Promoting the benefits of offering summer and/or afterschool meals
- Providing assistance to their peers who are interested in beginning or expanding summer and/or afterschool meals
We hope to identify champions representing a variety of roles and types of organizations all across the country, but we have a strong preference for individuals with direct experience supporting or implementing the program on the ground. That can be at a sponsoring organization, school district or school nutrition department, afterschool enrichment program, school, or community-based organization.
We would especially value champions who:
- Can speak to developing partnerships within or outside their organizations
- Have experience working collaboratively with children, families, and communities
- Have undertaken marketing or promotion efforts
- Have experience working with BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) communities and incorporating equity, diversity, and inclusion practices into their programs and practices
Champions will be asked help with activities and initiatives such as:
- Sharing their story and experience for case studies or other resources to be highlighted on our website
- Helping to develop and reviewing resources about summer and/or afterschool meals
- Providing technical assistance to other individuals/organizations
- Speaking on webinars
- Speaking at in-person events and conferences (optional once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted)
Commitments will be limited to five hours per month plus up to two optional trips. Travel is not required to be an OST Meals Champion; however, champions may have the opportunity to travel if interested. Each champion will receive a stipend of $2,500, and their organization will receive a $2,000 award. Any travel and lodging expenses related to OST Meals Champion work will be covered by Share Our Strength. Share Our Strength reserves the right to contact your state agency to ensure your organization is in good standing with the summer and/or afterschool meals programs.
The application will close on Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:59pm EST, and we will make selections by November 30, 2021. Commitments will last through December 2022.
If you have questions or want more information, please contact Paige Pokorney at email@example.com.